- 7 c. blueberries, rinsed (fresh or frozen)
- 2 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 long or 3 small cinnamon sticks
- 2 large jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium lemons
- 1 tsp. sea or kosher salt
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place blueberries and sugar in a large pot.
- With a vegetable peeler, zest the lemons making sure not to get the white bitter pith. Then cut the zest into small pieces, you will need about 1/4 C.
- Juice the lemons, you will need about 1/2 C. Toast the cinnamon sticks for 1-2 minutes in a pan on the stove.
- Place the peppers, lemon zest and lemon juice in the food processor and process until fine.
- Place the blueberries and sugar in the blender and blend until smooth unless you like chunky jam, then skip this step.
- Combine blueberries and pepper mix back in the large pot. Add cinnamon sticks and salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and cook 45 minutes to 1 hour until the mix is thick and keeps bubbling when you stir it.
- Add cilantro and bring back to a boil for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, take out the cinnamon sticks and fill five 1/2 pint (8 oz.) hot jars.
- Process in a hot water canner for 10 minutes.For some reason following directions while hanging out with my kids never seems to work out well. LOL! I totally forgot to add the cilantro, but it turned out great even without it. Enjoy!