I grew up in Iowa and have loved Happy Joe’s for as long as I can remember, so when I stumbled upon a recipe that was sort of similar to theirs I tweaked it into taco pizza perfection and here it is:
- Pizza dough of your choice (I buy the Family Size crust from Papa Murphy’s for $3, but click HERE for the best homemade crust recipe ever by The Pioneer Woman)
- 1/2 c. Ortega Medium Taco Sauce
- 1/2 c. pizza sauce
- 1/2 c. vegetarian refried beans
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 lb. Italian sausage, mild
- 1 pkt. or 5 T. (I like a little extra) taco seasoning
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Mexican-style cheese, shredded
- Lettuce, shredded
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Taco or Nacho Chees Doritos
-Preheat oven to 425F.
-Brown the ground beef and sausage, drain fat. Add taco seasoning with 3/4 c. water. When it’s cooked through, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
-Mix taco sauce, refried beans and pizza sauce together then spread on pizza crust.
-Top with shredded mozzarella, then 1/2 of the ground beef and Italian sausage mix, then top with the Mexican cheese blend.
-Bake until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden, about 14-17 minutes.
-Cover the pie with lettuce, tomatoes and Old-School Taco or Nacho Cheese Doritos (crush them up). Enjoy!
P.S. This recipe makes enough meat for two large pizzas. I like to freeze it for next time or have it as tacos the next night. Working full-time and having three kids at home I ideally like to cook up 4 pounds of ground beef and one pound of mild Italian sausage adding 2 1/2 cups water and 1 1/3 cup taco seasoning to finish it up. Then I put 1 1/2 cups of the taco meat into 9-10 quart size freezer bags, so I can thaw them out in minutes and sprinkle over a pizza. Voila! Dinner is ready in less that 20 minutes with only 5 minutes of prep work. Now that’s my kind of cooking!